I sincerely hope and pray that the horrors of the last big floods will not revisit us this winter. A great deal of hard work and careful remedial action has already been taken to safeguard our communities, but the Government is not taking any chances. Today a campaign is launched to make sure everyone knows what to do if the waters begin to rise again. The following advice is offered from the Environment Agency:
Check your flood risk
Use the Environment Agency’s maps online to find out if your home or business is at risk of flooding. Or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188
Sign up for free flood warnings online or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
Know what to do when flooding happens
- Make a personal flood plan and know what to do https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-flood-plan
- Prepare your business for flooding https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/preparing-your-business-for-flooding
- Prepare a grab bag with warm clothes, blankets, mobile phone, medication, water and food supplies, a torch, a battery or wind up radio and important personal documents.
- Make sure you know how to turn off the gas and electricity supply.
- Identify a safe place where you, your family and pets can keep away from floodwater.
- Check your insurance to see if you’re covered.